Friday, December 12, 2008

The Bible Gone Green

It was only a matter of time that The Bible would go green! And it did! Introducing The Green Bible!
Green Bible info: from Beatitudes Society Blog

The Green Bible
is published by HarperOne, ($29.95). Their eco-friendly production process is a good step for the industry. They use soy-based inks, recycled paper, and a 100% cloth/linen cover.

There are resources in here collected from some of the most prophetic and influential voices from all assorted religious flavors, both ancient and contemporary. It is filled with essays from Archbishop Desmond Tutu, author and activist Brian McLaren, well-known preacher Barbara Brown Taylor, Pope John Paul II, Jewish environmentalist Ellen Bernstein, and Anglican Bishop of Durham and renowned New Testament scholar N.T. Wright, to name a few. It includes a poem from celebrated poet and conservationist Wendell Berry and a canticle from St. Francis of Assisi, the patron saint of ecology. (No joke. There really is an official patron saint of ecology.)

The Green Bible also includes:

  • information on how to read the Bible through a green lens,
  • a historical overview of Christian teachings on creation, from St. Augustine to C.S. Lewis,
  • a Green Bible Trail study guide, pointing out six green themes throughout the scriptures,
  • green text highlighting passages that speak to green issues,
  • a green subject index,
  • and even a resource guide with suggestions to help your congregation get more involved in the green movement and practical ways to make a difference in your daily life.
OK... I was not sure how I would feel about the Green Bible. Last week Aaron & I went into Barnes & Noble. I had actually wanted to check out The Bible Illuminated (which I was able to.. ummm no... not for me.. I'm actually not sure who it's for.. but more on that on a later post), but took the oppurtunity to see if they had the Green Bible. They did. To make a long story short, I liked it (I'm surprised I did) & Aaron did not. Perhaps part of me likes it because I actually do need a new Bible and if I were to get a new one, why not get one that is Earth friendly??

No comments:

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online